Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Nothing on my needles!

I finished Dave's scarf! I messed up the last row, kind of dropping a stitch (not as simple as that, but the same result), and I'm not very good at binding off. Another thing--how do you make a scarf without it curving into itself? This scarf would make a very nice sweater sleeve. I read the yarn label, and it said no ironing--that's what blocking is, right? Does that mean no blocking? Well, Dave likes it. I'll post a picture of him modelling it later tonight.

Using Katrina's shorthand translation, I'm going to try a pattern for a tea cozy. It's going to be yellow and blue and will require working with two colours at once. Eek! I may need some help along the way!

3 comments:

Leoal said...

I already wrote this, but i guess it didn't post. Oh well. let me know if you recieve it twice.

About your scarf, was it knit in stockinette stitch (knit on one side, purl on the other side)? If so it will naturally curl up at the edges. You need to stablize it with a garter stitch or something. I suggest knitting the whole scarf in a single rib stitch which won't curl up on the sides and has the added advantage of looking the same on both sides, so your scarf won't have a back and a front.

Jillian Camwell said...

I like the tight look of the knit/purl sides. What do you mean to stabilize with a garter stitch?

Leoal said...

If you knit the first few rows (maybe 5-10) with a garter stitch, and the sides maybe 3-6 stitches on either side in a garter stitch, it won't curl up. Then you can knit the main part of it in stockinette and you can get that effect without the curling.